Thursday, March 12, 2015

You can't cast out flesh!


I actually get tickled sometimes at us Pentecostal folks. Anything that is going on, we tend to want to just cast it out in the name of Jesus! Spirit of _________________ I cast you out in the name of Jesus! Well..the Word of God tells us in Galatians 5:24 "Those that belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." You see we want the easy way out. We want someone to cast out our flesh so that we don't have to deal with it anymore. Well....sorry folks it doesn't work like that. We have to get out that Jesus hammer, you know the one that we like to use to hit all them ole' sinners in the head with, and take that hammer and crucify our own flesh!

Yes, that's right get up on that cross and crucify that flesh. Flesh wants to do what it wants to do. Flesh doesn't want to be sweet and kind. Flesh wants to have a bad attitude and have addictions and habits but, those things must be crucified. We don't want those things ruling over us. The Word tells us in Romans 6:16 that we become the slaves of whomever we yield ourselves to. So in other words if we let our flesh take over and let those addictions, and bad habits and character flaws take over, then we become slaves to those things. Yes, there are spirits involved that want to steer you over into the flesh side but, you still have ultimate control over your flesh. The Word tells us that if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation, old things are passed away and behold all things are become new, 2 Corinthians 5:17, so as Christians we are to have a new way of living, a new way of talking, walking. We are not to let the old man, (The flesh) rule us anymore. There are times when we need folks to help us pray about an area that we are struggling in, we need someone to lay hands on us for deliverance from an addiction or a stronghold, I'm not saying that we don't need that. I sure needed that when I was delivered from the nicotine addiction but, people laying hands on me wouldn't have helped me a bit, if I hadn't determined in my heart and mind and soul to overcome that evil mess in the name of Jesus!

Last night our Pastor said we are made overcomers. Well... I already knew that and am always glad to hear that but, then he said we are overcoming our flesh and when he said that, I thought WOW! I thought to myself, I always think of overcoming as a fight with the devil and evil spirits and I am being made a victorious overcomer! WooHoo! But, lets think about what he said. We are overcoming, which is a continual thing, the process of overcoming our flesh. Which means we must continually crucify that flesh, keep it under the submission of Christ. Yes, we war against principalities and powers and we have authority to pull them down and cast them out and rule and reign and are seated in Heavenly places with Christ and all of these things are well and true but, we are still in this earth realm, with out flesh suit on and we have not yet acquired our glorified bodies and so therefore, a daily crucifixion is necessary for us to be made overcomers. The Apostle Paul said "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.", Galatians 2:20 We are assured by the Word of God that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength, so we can overcome the flesh.

This isn't something that folks want to hear or talk about but, it is a needful talk. We are made overcomers by the blood of the lamb and the word of our testimony. So therefore knowing that as Christians we are cleansed by His blood, and He is daily helping us to overcome our flesh, then we will have a testimony to tell about all the wonderful things that the Lord has done for us. How he has helped us overcome addictions, habits, hangups, character flaws, etc. What a wonderful Savior that He would come leave the courts of Heaven, lay aside His regal robe and come to this earth to be THE perfect sacrifice for our sins. I am thankful today for a God that loves me with an everlasting love and never gave up on me. He loved me when I didn't even love myself and He pursued me when I was walking afar off. He came after this wandering sheep and I love Him for it. Through the Holy Spirit of God, He is teaching me how to be that overcomer. To be salt and light and to live a victorious life.

Yes, I still have things that Jesus and I are working on but, I am not controlled by those things anymore. Fear no longer cripples me, I am no longer addicted to cigarettes, I no longer scream and yell at people when they upset me. I no longer feel the desire to be a people please and have replaced it with an extreme desire to please my God. I am being made an overcomer of my flesh and I am grateful. Are you overcoming today? Are there areas in your life where you are struggling? Talk to the Lord about those things, He will help you to become an overcomer. He will lead, guide and direct you to freedom. Just lean on Him, ask Him and He will help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment